Thursday, April 3, 2014

Grilled Chicken and Salad



I am so excited!  I got a new toy over the weekend, though the toy I got is certainly not new.  I have been cooking with a Weber gas fueled grill forever, mostly because of the convenience.  For the past few years, however, I have been coveting an old fashioned charcoal grill and I finally got one!  One caveat however, due to the postage stamp size of my back patio which is already crowded with the gas grill, this one is living at my Moms in her much more spacious yard. 

I was a little hesitant about being successful lighting the coals, but through the use of a handy chimney starter it was crazy easy and seems to be fool proof.  For my first lovely grilled meal, I chose something rather simple, but still a summer grill favorite, chicken quarters.  I contemplated sauce or no sauce and decided that I would first master the crispy, unburned, skin part and then move on to more advanced saucing maneuvers. I grilled these chicken quarters over indirect heat for 20 minutes per side starting with the skin side down.  It was seasoned with just a little oil, salt and pepper and little sprinkle of Old Bay seasoning.  

Pretty good, Id say, for the first attempt.  Though my presentation could have used a little finesse.



To accompany this tasty chicken was a delightful summer salad of romaine, onion, cucumber, cantaloupe, tomato, cheddar cheese and croutons.  I made a salad dressing of Dijon mustard, honey, minced garlic, champagne vinegar, extra virgin olive oil and salt and pepper.   

No comments:

Post a Comment